Syndicate content

How NOT To Name Your Game

74 posts / 0 new
Last post
Offline
Great TownieTownie
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
How NOT To Name Your Game

The following words should be kept out of any and all game titles. They have been overused way too much and the mere sight of any of them makes it look like you lack creative talent. So, onto the list.

-Dark
-Legend(s)
-Final
-Fantasy (double bogey for using the previous word with this one)
-Phantasy
-Kingdom(s)
-Hero(es)
-Crystal

Also, avoid subtitling your game title. "The Dark Legend: The Kingdom Of Final Fantasy". Angry

If anyone's got any more to add to this list, please do. I'm sure I could think of a few more but it's too early. Laugh

Current production: "MONOLITH" - a fantasy-themed action RPG for the PC Engine

Offline
Ultra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 12 Sep 2006

It'd be so better to turn this into a game of trying to create a title period, without using those words, or with using ONLY those words. Smile

Might as well not use "The" or "Of" too. They've got to be in at LEAST 400 different game titles, so MUST be cliche! Laugh

I'm so using "Final Phantasy Legend: Dark Crystals of The Hero's Fantasy Kingdom" as my game title.

Offline
Mega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 14 Sep 2007

or maybe "Dark Phantasy of the Final Crystal Legend Hero's Kingdom"?

or 'Dark Hero's Legend of the Final Crystal Phantasy Kingdom"?

lol this could be fun axually =)

don't blink, you might miss the droids you're looking for...

Offline
Townie
Joined: 25 Oct 2007

World, Zelda, rising, dead, evil, knights, I can think of many more im sure.. just arent coming to me

Offline
Mega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 6 Oct 2006

Legends of the Dark Final Phantasy Kingdom and the Fantasy Crystal Hero

You can't have everything....where would you put it?

OH MY GOD! THERE'S A BEAR IN MY OATMEAL!

Offline
Ultra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 14 Jul 2004

Don't tell me what not to do.

Offline
Great TownieTownie
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Blue Barry Jam @ Jul 15 2008, 06:49 PM wrote:

Don't tell me what not to do.

I'm going to put you in my next sandwich.

Current production: "MONOLITH" - a fantasy-themed action RPG for the PC Engine

Offline
NobleUltra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 12 Jul 2004

Orbs
Destiny
Fate
Evil
Sandwich

Offline
Mega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Chickensoupcheese @ Jul 15 2008, 04:49 PM wrote:

Sandwich

ABSOLUTELY NOT! this word is FORBIDDEN!!!

don't blink, you might miss the droids you're looking for...

Offline
Ultra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 15 Jul 2004

Legend of the Crystal Knights: Rise of the Dark Orbs

The hero, Dycx, is a young, adventurous, spirited boy who is son of a local farmer in the village of Oxnayxnux. At the start of the game he is on a mission to rid the village of the fearsome Silver Wolfback Wolf. Along the way he finds a mysterious sword or something in the cave two 30x20 maps away to the west. The sword glows a mysterious red colour and then Dycx is able to summon up great gods to help him defeat the big nasty wolf and so he heads back to the village. When he arrives in town he notices that the whole place is on fire! His single parent mother is dead and there are lots of badguy knights around! Crikey!

He decides to head south to the port town of Oanbwmnal to seek out the people that destroyed his village. Also he finds out that he's the last of an ancient race and the one the badguys were looking for.

That's all I've got so far. I'll post more when I can think of it. Incase you're wondering, the game is set in Wales.

meustrus's picture
Offline
RoyalÜber TownieUltra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 18 Jan 2006

Is the twist that the evil overlord that attacked the village is really just a pawn of a great evil that was sealed away 1000 years ago and needs you as a human sacrifice to awaken? And is the other twist that the evil overlord who is also a pawn to the massive evil force that is holed up is also a member of the ancient race that you were the last of and whose sacrifice will end up summoning the ancient evil anyway?

Offline
Mega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
rey meustrus @ Jul 17 2008, 11:45 AM wrote:

Is the twist that the evil overlord that attacked the village is really just a pawn of a great evil that was sealed away 1000 years ago and needs you as a human sacrifice to awaken? And is the other twist that the evil overlord who is also a pawn to the massive evil force that is holed up is also a member of the ancient race that you were the last of and whose sacrifice will end up summoning the ancient evil anyway?

I rofled at that, it's pretty good mew lol

don't blink, you might miss the droids you're looking for...

meustrus's picture
Offline
RoyalÜber TownieUltra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 18 Jan 2006

The best part is that I used the word "evil" five times.

Offline
Ultra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
TheInquisitor @ Jul 17 2008, 06:50 PM wrote:

Legend of the Crystal Knights: Rise of the Dark Orbs

The hero, Dycx, is a young, adventurous, spirited boy who is son of a local farmer in the village of Oxnayxnux. At the start of the game he is on a mission to rid the village of the fearsome Silver Wolfback Wolf. Along the way he finds a mysterious sword or something in the cave two 30x20 maps away to the west. The sword glows a mysterious red colour and then Dycx is able to summon up great gods to help him defeat the big nasty wolf and so he heads back to the village. When he arrives in town he notices that the whole place is on fire! His single parent mother is dead and there are lots of badguy knights around! Crikey!

He decides to head south to the port town of Oanbwmnal to seek out the people that destroyed his village. Also he finds out that he's the last of an ancient race and the one the badguys were looking for.

That's all I've got so far. I'll post more when I can think of it. Incase you're wondering, the game is set in Wales.

that, minus the names, is pretty much exactly what my first game was.

Offline
Über TownieUltra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 20 Oct 2010

Well this isn't true. I am Legend was a good title to be honest (best bit of the film at least), but Gay Faggots 3: The holy fag-drag is terrible without using those.

Edit: Actually I'm wrong, that is also a good name.

Offline
Ultra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
holloway @ Jul 24 2008, 08:45 AM wrote:

Well this isn't true. I am Legend was a good title to be honest (best bit of the film at least imo)

Offline
Great TownieTownie
Joined: 27 Oct 2007

locations are impossibly longwinded, awkward to pronounce and overloaded with apostrophes... yet everyone inexplicably has an asiatic name... my game is set in Ak'lgo'sstph're and the hero is called Hanzo Katana-Chan

meustrus's picture
Offline
RoyalÜber TownieUltra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 18 Jan 2006

But that's the coolest place to name your coolest-named hero!

Offline
Mega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 6 Oct 2006

If you are to use any name at all let it be:

Dark Kingdom 2: Legend of the Hero Sandwich

There never was a Dark Kingdom one in this series. Its just a marketing ploy.

You can't have everything....where would you put it?

OH MY GOD! THERE'S A BEAR IN MY OATMEAL!

Offline
Über TownieUltra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 15 Jul 2004

Barry and I have a game where we go on rmxp.org and gamingw.net to mock all of the lame game names (we are nice people).

What makes people think these clichéd game names are OK? Why can't kids construct plots that haven't been done 1000 times?

My first thought when drawing up a game concept is how I can make it different and enjoyable.

Here are the titles of game concepts I've worked on:
DReAMER
Who wants to live forever?
A Syzygial Pilgrimage to the Center of the Universe
id

I think they are varied and don't touch on clichés as far as I can tell. The only one I'm insecure about is the first, but it's pretty hyped anyway so it doesn't seem to matter. Plus I think it stands out a bit for typographic reasons alone. Wink


On hiatus. Blame holloway.
meustrus's picture
Offline
RoyalÜber TownieUltra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Zatham @ Jul 25 2008, 05:34 PM wrote:

What makes people think these clichéd game names are OK? Why can't kids construct plots that haven't been done 1000 times?

Because they don't KNOW it's been done at all, because they just haven't been around enough to see it.

And...Syzygial? R U SRS?

Offline
Mega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 14 Sep 2007

well, I've been working on the plot/storyline of a new game I want to call "The Jericho Effect"...I hope that falls into the "Not Cliche" group

don't blink, you might miss the droids you're looking for...

Offline
Ultra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 12 Sep 2006
Ricoman @ Jul 26 2008, 02:33 AM wrote:

well, I've been working on the plot/storyline of a new game I want to call "The Jericho Effect"...I hope that falls into the "Not Cliche" group

It's a show/game title. I wouldn't want to play a game called "The Sesame Street Murders"... actually, yes I would. Make a game that suits that title.

Offline
NobleUltra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Furdabip @ Jul 26 2008, 02:26 PM wrote:

It's a show/game title. I wouldn't want to play a game called "The Sesame Street Murders"... actually, yes I would. Make a game that suits that title.

Offline
Ultra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 12 Sep 2006
Chickensoupcheese @ Jul 26 2008, 12:28 PM wrote:
Furdabip @ Jul 26 2008, 02:26 PM wrote:

It's a show/game title. I wouldn't want to play a game called "The Sesame Street Murders"... actually, yes I would. Make a game that suits that title.

Lmao, awexome.

meustrus's picture
Offline
RoyalÜber TownieUltra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 18 Jan 2006

Ditto to Bip, "lmao awexome"

Offline
Mega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 14 Sep 2007

OMG CSC thats effin hilarious, good job!

don't blink, you might miss the droids you're looking for...

Offline
Great TownieTownie
Joined: 7 Apr 2007

D-D-D-D-Destiny!
Journey
Dragon
Bane

My first project (Before I was online) was called Journey of Destiny: Dragon Bane Laugh

Offline
Great TownieTownie
Joined: 2 Aug 2008

The title i am using for my one man made game is "Genocidal War" hows that? Sticking Out Tongue Btw "The" should be added tot he list Sticking Out Tongue If your talking about overused words Laugh

73% of forum posters put made-up statistics in their signature and tell other people to do the same if they agree about the statistic. Put this in your signature if you do not do this.

If you break the rules. The community breaks you!

Offline
Ultra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 14 Jul 2004

Might as well add "in" "a" and "of" too.

Offline
Ultra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 12 Sep 2006
DJIlLuZiOnIsT @ Aug 2 2008, 01:04 PM wrote:

Btw "The" should be added tot he list Sticking Out Tongue If your talking about overused words Laugh

Furdabip @ Jul 15 2008, 08:01 AM wrote:

Might as well not use "The" or "Of" too. They've got to be in at LEAST 400 different game titles, so MUST be cliche! Laugh

Offline
Great TownieTownie
Joined: 17 Jun 2008

Not only am I going to make a game that encompasses as many of the forbidden words as possible, but I'm also going to try to meet every requirement in The Grand List Of Console Role Playing Game Clichés.

Current production: "MONOLITH" - a fantasy-themed action RPG for the PC Engine

meustrus's picture
Offline
RoyalÜber TownieUltra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 18 Jan 2006

So that's where that thing was! I can never find the link to it...

Offline
Great TownieTownie
Joined: 15 Jul 2004

I want to piggy back on the first post. Please don't subtitle your games, it just sounds too... bleh. If you must subtitle, at least make sure it's not super long.

Underworld: Evolution <---That's not so bad, single word subtitles work.

The New Adventures of Title Boy: Secret of the Hidden Subtitle <---That's bad. :lol3:

Offline
Great TownieTownie
Joined: 23 Sep 2006

Subtitles should only be used for sequels, IMO.

"Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody."
Txt Talk Banner
Stick it in your happy place.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself; Everyone can see it, b

Offline
Mega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 14 Sep 2007

subtitles belong in foreign films not games Wink

don't blink, you might miss the droids you're looking for...

Offline
Great TownieTownie
Joined: 2 Aug 2008
Zatham @ Jul 26 2008, 12:34 AM wrote:

Barry and I have a game where we go on rmxp.org and gamingw.net to mock all of the lame game names (we are nice people).

What makes people think these clichéd game names are OK? Why can't kids construct plots that haven't been done 1000 times?

My first thought when drawing up a game concept is how I can make it different and enjoyable.

Here are the titles of game concepts I've worked on:
DReAMER
Who wants to live forever?
A Syzygial Pilgrimage to the Center of the Universe
id

I think they are varied and don't touch on clichés as far as I can tell. The only one I'm insecure about is the first, but it's pretty hyped anyway so it doesn't seem to matter. Plus I think it stands out a bit for typographic reasons alone. Wink

I DO!

Edit, BTW Furda, I always end up saying sort of the same thing as you. Great minds think alike huh? Sticking Out Tongue

73% of forum posters put made-up statistics in their signature and tell other people to do the same if they agree about the statistic. Put this in your signature if you do not do this.

If you break the rules. The community breaks you!

Offline
Great TownieTownie
Joined: 15 Jul 2004

Actually, it may be wrong to put a blanket statement on everything and say that you cannot use subtitles on amateur games. I think it really boils down to your target audience. If you're trying to present something, your target audience is everything.

A title such as "Tales of Fantasy: Legend of the Lost Crystal" may work for a much younger crowd, while an older crowd may find it a bit over the top and "cheesy". A more appealing title for such a crowd may be along the lines of something more simple like... "Crystal".

As far as overused words go, my opinion is that you CAN use them to good effect. This really boils down to how good your game is. If your game is good enough, the title you choose, no matter how outrageous it seemed at first... will most likely become an iconic title for the community.

meustrus's picture
Offline
RoyalÜber TownieUltra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 18 Jan 2006
DJIlLuZiOnIsT @ Aug 5 2008, 12:21 AM wrote:

Edit, BTW Furda, I always end up saying sort of the same thing as you. Great minds think alike huh? Sticking Out Tongue

I lawled.

Offline
Ultra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 15 Jul 2004

"Star Wars Episode IV: The Empire Strikes Back"

Love it or hate it, you remember it.

Offline
Ultra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 12 Sep 2006
rey meustrus @ Aug 5 2008, 12:11 PM wrote:
DJIlLuZiOnIsT @ Aug 5 2008, 12:21 AM wrote:

Edit, BTW Furda, I always end up saying sort of the same thing as you. Great minds think alike huh? Sticking Out Tongue

I lawled.

I did too, but I didn't want to reply to his post to encourage him.

I hate copycats. Frown

Offline
Mega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 14 Sep 2007

why does Furd always get the wannabe fanboys???

Not fair Wink

don't blink, you might miss the droids you're looking for...

Offline
Great TownieTownie
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
TheInquisitor @ Aug 5 2008, 12:58 PM wrote:

"Star Wars Episode IV: The Empire Strikes Back"

Love it or hate it, you remember it.

That isn't the movie name though. The movie's called "The Empire Strikes Back". They simply used the episode name for the movie title. Besides, that's a series of interconnected stories (hence, episodes), so it's allowed in that case.

Current production: "MONOLITH" - a fantasy-themed action RPG for the PC Engine

Offline
Great TownieTownie
Joined: 23 Sep 2006

Another word that should not be used: Hamster.

Kitten is fine.

Especially for a game with frequent massacres.

VENGEANCE KITTEN: ROYALTY IS CAKE!

Anyway...now that that is out of my system...

Utopia
Penultimate
Ultimate
Perfect (well...this works SOMETIMES)
Struggle

I feel like hugging someone...not you this time, Furdi...you can get a hug later Sticking Out Tongue But for now...umm...

*hugs Ricoman* (The first name I saw other than mine when I looked at the last 10 posts.)

"Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody."
Txt Talk Banner
Stick it in your happy place.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself; Everyone can see it, b

Offline
Mega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Absinthe @ Aug 5 2008, 08:44 PM wrote:

I feel like hugging someone...not you this time, Furdi...you can get a hug later Sticking Out Tongue But for now...umm...

*hugs Ricoman* (The first name I saw other than mine when I looked at the last 10 posts.)

AWWWW *sniffle* I feel so loved...

btw, what was the "this time" comment? Some unwritten things happening here Abs? lol

don't blink, you might miss the droids you're looking for...

Offline
Great TownieTownie
Joined: 23 Sep 2006

Have you not seen all the threads where I hug him?

"Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody."
Txt Talk Banner
Stick it in your happy place.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself; Everyone can see it, b

meustrus's picture
Offline
RoyalÜber TownieUltra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 18 Jan 2006

For most of those words you mentioned, they're just bad because the average layman that tries to use them has no idea what "penultimate" really means.

Offline
Great TownieTownie
Joined: 23 Sep 2006

Usually, from what I've seen, the words are used and have absolutely nothing to do with the story >.< That's a horrible thing to do and they should be shot Sticking Out Tongue

"Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody."
Txt Talk Banner
Stick it in your happy place.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself; Everyone can see it, b

Offline
Townie
Joined: 1 Aug 2008
Quote:

QUOTE(TheInquisitor @ Jul 17 2008, 06:50 PM) *

Legend of the Crystal Knights: Rise of the Dark Orbs

The hero, Dycx, is a young, adventurous, spirited boy who is son of a local farmer in the village of Oxnayxnux. At the start of the game he is on a mission to rid the village of the fearsome Silver Wolfback Wolf. Along the way he finds a mysterious sword or something in the cave two 30x20 maps away to the west. The sword glows a mysterious red colour and then Dycx is able to summon up great gods to help him defeat the big nasty wolf and so he heads back to the village. When he arrives in town he notices that the whole place is on fire! His single parent mother is dead and there are lots of badguy knights around! Crikey!

He decides to head south to the port town of Oanbwmnal to seek out the people that destroyed his village. Also he finds out that he's the last of an ancient race and the one the badguys were looking for.

the bad guy knights turn into "frying evil orb sandwiches" when suddenly the evil overlord that was supposed to need a sacrifice randomly awakens where then you need to defeat him on some extreamly low lvl and the sword doesnt work for some reason then you lose (cry) end of story BUT then you wake up in dungeon to find that it is exreamly easy to escape and its guarded by "frying evil orb sandwiches" wich happen to be extreamly stupid considering that they have ham for a brain they probally would of been better off as knights then as you escape the scary dungeon prison you have to quest to get your sword again (cry) wich happens to take you 3/4 of the game where apon you face the evil terrible overlord where he happens to be on a lower lvl for some odd reason and the sword doesnt work again and you die prety exiting twist huh winning is so cliché

Heres another one you start your quest to find all the monsters are overpowing you around every corner and you gameover about five minutes in not cliché but also not very interesting

[img]http://C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Alex\My%20Documents\Rpgxp.jpg[/img]

Offline
Townie
Joined: 1 Aug 2008

oopps............ i only read the first page my bad

"backs away slowly"

oh and.

nights,boulder,icedale,gate,winter,never,sword,batman,rpg i see this one alot in rolplaying games dont know wat it means though jks,scrolls,spells,dynasty,journy,alien,quest,bard,tale,chronicles.....mm thats all that i can think of now

and i probally look lonely for posting after myself. Frown

why is read and read spelt the same

[img]http://C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Alex\My%20Documents\Rpgxp.jpg[/img]

meustrus's picture
Offline
RoyalÜber TownieUltra TownieMega TownieSuper TownieGreat TownieTownie
Joined: 18 Jan 2006

wtf just happened?

Topic locked

Who's online

There are currently 2 users and 0 guests online.

Online users